Unfortunately, any wooden structure is vulnerable to termite damage. A lot of people think they will never get termites, simply because they don’t want to imagine it. But termites don’t discriminate; they will eat anything that has cellulose, which includes just about anything made from trees. As homes are made from wooden frames, this means termites can cause significant structural damage inside your walls before you even notice. This can be particularly difficult to see when the termites are in your roof, as you probably won’t be able to see them crawling in and out of anywhere. Read on to see the signs of termite roof damage.
Signs of Termites
Some easy signs to spot that point to a termite problem are:
- You actually see a termite. Termites are about the size of winged ants, but have significantly different features. They have four wings and straight antennae. Their bodies are also less segmented.
- You see wood damage in your attic or rafters.
- Shingles are loose due to subroofing damage.
- Large piles of what appears to be wooden pellets are in your attic; these are termine feces.
- You see their mud tunnels running up the side of your house. Check chimneys and outside walls.
To prevent termite infestation before you need to call an exterminator, you can do the following:
- Seal exposed wood in your home or attic.
- Fix plumbing leaks and do not allow water to collect underneath your home. Sump pumps are the biggest culprit, here.
- Trim plants and trees surrounding your home. Avoid using mulch.
- Ensure that your attic is properly vented and covered so moisture doesn’t collect.
- Repair roof leaks immediately when you notice them.
Need roof repair after a termite attack? Piney Orchard Roofing can help!
From our responsive, personal service to our precision estimating technology, everything we do at Piney Orchard Roofing is designed to make your roof repair as easy, affordable, and painless as possible. Moss will be gone faster than you can imagine when you work with Piney Orchard.
We offer a 5-year labor warranty on complete roof replacements – five times the industry standard – combined with a lifetime material warranty on select products. We serve the following Maryland communities: Odenton, Crofton, Gambrills, Severna Park, Annapolis, Arnold, Severn, Millersville, Davidsonville, Crownsville, Riva, Edgewater, and more.
Need help with your Maryland roof? Contact us online or call (410) 618-0804 to schedule your consultation and roofing estimate! You can also stay connected with us on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, and our blog.